Are you looking for an ideal pair of headsets for studio recording and mixing? A vast range of headphones in the market offer unbeatable sound quality and comfortability. However, finding an appropriate pair of headsets may be troublesome and confusing for some users. It is due to the variability present in the market. Each headphone is specific to a particular usage and functionality. Therefore, extensive research is the key to finding your dream headsets.
However, Beyerdynamic has always been successful in fulfilling the specific demands of its customers. Beyerdynamic DT first appeared in 1985 and still has a prominent position among users as the best studio-based headset.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Headphones
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO is a top-notch pair of headphones for studio tasks like mixing and voice recording. The open-back feature allows intense bass and brilliant sound quality.
However, do not confuse Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro with the recently launched DT 990 Pro X, a more advanced headset with a transducer design. Both headsets have marked similarities with each other in structure. The only difference between both is that of weight; DT 990 Pro is lighter in weight due to its ventilating earcup casing.
While DT 990 PRO X has specific programming, monitoring, and gaming purpose, DT 990 is typical for studio tasks such as referencing, mixing, mastering, and recording. After mixing, it gives out a clear and natural sound stage and a more expansive stereo image. Hence, it is not incomprehensible that a product like DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm for under $200 can be the best pick for audiophiles, music lovers, and studio workers.
Highlights of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Headphones
A friendly and honest review constantly sheds light on the presented product’s benefits and drawbacks. Describing only the advantages is not enough; sometimes, a minor factor may trouble the user. The weaknesses should also be presented to the user so that he may be well-informed about the nitty-gritty of the product he intends to buy. Thus, to save time and effort, we have presented a quick overview of Beyerdynamic DT 990, its features, functionalities, and demerits. Read the highlights of the product to assess to get an idea of whether you should buy this pair of headsets or not.
- Solid build quality
- Extremely Comfortable to wear
- Great stereo imaging
- Excellent sound performance
- Powerful Bass
- Come in secure packaging, with an additional soft fabric pouch
- It does not have a mic
- Only available with 80 and 250-ohm rating
- Non-Detachable cable
- It needs an external amp
- It is not fit for outdoor use due to its open-back design
- Lacks Noise cancellation feature
- Sound leakage issues at high range volume
- They may be slightly tight on the head
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro comes in an iconic box package containing a grey and black color combination. On the front side of the box is a picture of the headset, along with a few features. On the back side of the Beyerdynamic DT box, it contains the logo of Beyerdynamic and its specifications in detail.
On opening the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro box, you will get the headset with a 1.5m coiled cable that can be stretched up to 3m by straightening the wire. The coil is permanently attached to the left earcup and is not removable. The right earcup possesses a stereo 3.5mm jack adapter that may be changed to a regular 6.3mm jack using a screw-on adaptor.
Moreover, you will have a soft pouch to enwrap the headsets for outdoor carrying. However, it is not much protective in terms of falls; it can save your headset from scratches but not from external hits and falls. On the other hand, the pouch is waterproof and will protect your headset from water damage. Further, the box contains a guidebook with all the details about how to use the headphones.
The word Beyerdynamic and comfort are inseparable. They are not supposed to win any beauty contests. However, the headset is quite comfy when it comes to wearing it for long hours. The padding is velour, like its predecessor DT 990, which is breathable and comforting. The earcups are enormous so you won’t face any issues regarding their adjustment. The u-frame holding the ear pads possesses metal and fits nicely on the head. The overall design of the headset is circular, making it professional and comfortable.
The factor that makes Beyerdynamic DT 990 exclusive is its build material. The headset is made of plastic material sturdy enough to bear external hits and pressures. The padding is super soft, and it contains velour cushioning. Thus, you won’t experience any pressure on your ears while using Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. The outside of the earcup has an open-back structure with a silver lining. Hence, you won’t experience any sweating issues during winter. However, they might soak up sweat in summer. Don’t forget to replace the ear pads at least after two years, since worn ear pads might change the voice quality due to excessive sweat absorption.
Beyerdynamic Dt 990 Pro 250 Ohm is available in two colors on the market. One is entirely black, with a black body and black earcups. The other version is grey and black, containing a black body with grey earcups. The Black version is an excellent choice if you need a professional headset. However, the black and grey version might suit you well if you are a unique lover and like doing new-style experiments.
Like its precursors, DT 770 and DT 990, they are not designed to be portable. They are wired headsets that you can’t use through a Bluetooth connection. Moreover, another demerit is that they can’t be folded into a compact form to pack them. They are, in fact, the type of over-ear headphones that need a large bag or pouch to seal them.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 comes with a coiled cable of 1m that can be extended up to 3m. However, the wire with such length becomes heavy, and it becomes difficult to manage when using it on a smartphone or any other portable device. Notwithstanding, it is suitable for desktop or PC users because it offers a secured and uninterruptable connection to the desktop computer.
Looking at the other side of the image, you cannot use Beyerdynamic with a Bluetooth connection or wirelessly because its cable is non-detachable. Moreover, the line is the only source of connection to the device; thus, you will have to buy a new headset if the cable breaks or gets damaged.
Beyerdynamic DT has an open-back structure for studio functions. They, therefore, provide fantastic three-dimensional sound. The sound offers a V-shaped contour. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro bass is powerful but well-balanced, in contrast to its other rivals. Undoubtedly noticeable for an open-back design is the bass quality.
The treble boost is substantial and has a crisp sound. The low and high frequencies are distinct, and the mids are modest. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones outperform some of the top surround sound headphones in terms of audio quality. However, you may pair the headphones with one of the top headphone amplifiers on the market if you want extra strength.
The sound quality of DT 990 Pro Headphones is outstanding. The instrumental separation is remarkable, and the soundstage is broad. As a result, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is suitable for casual use, studio recording, and gaming. Said, you should get these headphones if you want clear, gloriously transcendent highs and respectable lows.
It might hit you badly that Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro does not have the mic. So, you would have to attach an external mic if you want to make calls or record audio.
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones do not block out outside sounds because they have an open-back design. There is a small amount of sound leaking at regular volumes with these headphones. At more significant volumes, sound leakage can emanate a problem.
These earbuds’ realistic sound performance plays a significant role in gaming. These earbuds don’t have a receiver if anything is missing from them. Since the earbuds don’t have an inherent receiver, you’ll need to buy the mouthpiece separately. It works with Mac, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC and has a quiet switch.
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones are suitable for solo listening because they don’t provide noise cancellation or competitive gaming. The earphones are also fantastic for music with lots of basses. These headphones are suitable for use during workouts or outdoor activities.
Two types of Beyerdynamic DT headphones have differing impedances: 80 Ohms and 250 Ohms. The former is appropriate for many studio purposes because it is pretty adaptable. The 250 Ohms variant, on the other hand, is of professional quality. Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm is the studio’s best headset for mixing and mastering. The fact that many well-known DJs use these headphones for mixing and mastering is no surprise. One of the top DJ headphones is the DT 990 Pro.
Usage of 80 and 250 Ohm Impedance
Low-impedance headphones, or those rated below approximately 50, are typically made to work well with portable electronics because they can effectively produce acceptable sound quality and volume from equipment with a low output voltage. Unlike its closed-back competitors, the DT 990 PRO is only offered in one relatively high impedance rating of 250. They perform best when linked to a strong signal from a studio headphone amp or audio interface’s headphone output.
They are weak in the tests when driven by weak signals from mobile phones and tablets, and even when connected to a MacBook Pro, they had to turn up the volume to the top to keep them from sounding dull and unimpressive. Even though the overall sound in this situation becomes appropriately open and expansive and everything present, it just doesn’t say forward enough unless you pair them with a sufficient signal to drive them adequately.
This pair of headphones are compatible with all types of devices, such as PC, laptops, smartphones, and gaming consoles, i.e., Xbox One, PS3, PS4, PS5, and notebooks. However, one thing that might trouble you is the unavailability of a wireless or Bluetooth connection. The only way to connect to these devices is its audio cable.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro sits quite well on the head, making it a suitable choice for studio recording and call-making. The soft velour padding allows you to wear it for extended hours a day. However, the headset is not the right pick for heavy workouts and exercise because they may fall off the head during immense physical activity like running. On the other hand, you can use them for moderate types of workouts or other outdoor use like jogging and mild aerobic sessions.
The DT 990 PRO will serve you well in the $159 if you enjoy hearing detailed music and are willing to give up some degree as they are open-back headphones. Overall, it’s difficult to recommend anything other than the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones to anyone searching for earbuds that value comfort and sound quality.
The best review shares a quick comparison of a product with its other competitors in the market. It is because only knowing the pros and cons of a specific product is not enough; comparison with competitors gives you a deep insight into market trends and audience demand. Moreover, comparing the particular product with the others of the same value helps you evaluate what’s good and evil in both and which one is better.
We have presented a comparative analysis of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro with other headphones to grasp a better idea.
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is a better choice than Audio Technica ATH-M50x, thanks to their open-back design, which allows clear listening in a quiet room.
- Beyerdynamic is also superior to Audio Technica in terms of build quality and padding.
- However, if you are a music enthusiast and want critical listening, such as listening to music in the library or some natural environment, Audio Technica is the right pick.
- Audio Technica has a closed-back design, allowing less sound leaking compared to Beyerdynamic.
- When it comes to price, Audio Technica is a bit costly; it costs about $169, a price more than Beyerdynamic.
Sennheiser HD 599
- Both headphones are almost similar in terms of sound quality.
- However, Sennheiser HD 599 may offer more comfortability to wear for long hours than Beyerdynamic.
- Although Beyerdynamic has the robust build quality and soft padding, they offer a tighter fit which may be a trouble for some users.
- Moreover, Sennheiser provides a comprehensive and more open sound performance than Beyerdynamic Dt 990.
- Another primary concern is cable. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro comes with a non-detachable cable. However, Sennheiser HD 599 offers two thin detachable lines.
- However, Beyerdynamic is costlier than Sennheiser, which costs $149, a price less than DT 990.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
- Both headphones have practically the same performance and are built equally.
- However, DT 990 might perform well than DT 770 because of its open-back design.
- The only difference between both is that DT 990 is open-back, and DT 770 is closed-back.
- DT 770 costs $145, which is far more inexpensive than DT 990.
Philips Fidelio X2HR
- For listening to balanced sound, the Philips Fidelio X2HR open-back headphones perform considerably higher than the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO.
- The Philips is more comfortable, offer a far more expansive soundstage, and less excessively emphasizes the bass region.
- Additionally, their treble range is slightly more constant between different users.
- Conversely, the Beyerdynamic has a more solid, stable feel and exhibits less distortion at lower listening volumes.
- Philips Fidelio costs $148; however, Beyerdynamic costs $159; thus, there is a bit of difference between both prices.
- If you prefer a neutral sound, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and the Philips SHP9500 are excellent audiophile headphones.
- Beyer dynamics have more fantastic bass, but some users also find that they have a harsh, even piercing sound.
- Philips has a noticeable bass slide but considerably more sustained treble and a more realistic soundstage.
- Additionally, because they fit less snugly than the Beyerdynamic, they are less tiring to wear during extended listening sessions.
- Philips SHP9500 costs $79, a more affordable option than Beyerdynamic DT 990.
The DT 990 Pro is a popular open-back studio headset at a mid-price, and consumers frequently suggest them despite the design’s acceptable age. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones can be helpful for recording sessions, gaming, watching TV, listening to music or digital broadcasts, and lounging in front of the TV. The headphones are among the most comfortable and versatile studio earbuds on the market. Moreover, the build material and cushioning are of top class. Thus, it can last up to 4 to 5 years without giving any trouble or showing alteration in sound quality. Hence, finding headphones with such incredible sound quality is challenging for such an affordable price.