If you’re a pro gamer, you must have heard about Steam, one of the best-known platforms for playing games; to be honest, Steam is a must-have for PC gamers, especially those playing on Windows.
Well, the gaming community would agree with the fact that Steam offers thousands of games – to create a huge game collection, and yes, who can underestimate its option to share games with gaming partners through its organically-built platform.
Why praising Steam?
It’s worth the shot… as far as you’ve not encountered any of its rarely-occurred error, especially the Steam service error.
Worry not; this is what I am here for. Let’s check it out.
Before fixing Steam, let me burst the bubble why the “The Steam service component is not working properly” error occur?
The major cause for the Steam Service error is simple… you don’t have enough permissions to access a specific file or to perform an action.
Furthermore, the error could also occur due to broken services or if Steam Service simply not running; either the cause, solutions are super-easier, just have a look.
How to Fix “the Steam service component is not working properly” error?
Googling Steam-friendly support forums, I came to know that there are many users, including me, who have posted about the Steam service error that arises when launching the platform.
The error message:
In order to run Steam properly on this version of Windows, the Steam service component is not working properly on this computer.
Consequently, the Steam client gets unable to load, leading users inaccessible to their favorite gameplays and game-buys.
First thing first… turn off all the third-party software, especially Firewall.
Fix 1: Run Steam as an administrator
- Right-click Steam if you have a desktop shortcut for it and go to Properties (or right-click Steam EXE file in its folder – C: > Program Files> Steam x86.
- Now, go to Compatibility.
- Then, click Run this program as an administrator.
- Click the Apply → OK.
Fix 2: Make Steam Service Startup Automatically
To run everything smoothly, the Steam Service should be running, which starts automatically; if not, follow these steps;
- Windows Key + R key combination – to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “services.msc” in the box → OK (or simply search for Services in the Start menu).
- Locate the Steam Client Service in the list of services, right-click on Steam → Properties.
- Here, if the service is started, click the Stop button in the middle of the window (if stopped already, leave it as it is).
- Ensure the option under the Startup type menu is set to Automatic before proceeding further; keep confirming any dialogue boxes which may appear.
- Click on the Start button before exiting.
If this “Windows could not start the Steam Client Service on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service differs from the account specified for other services running in the same process,“ error occurs, follow these instructions;
- Follow steps 1-3 from the instructions above, navigate to the Log → Browse.
- A dialogue box asking for “Enter the object name to select” open, type in your account’s name → Check Names… wait for the given name to be recognized.
- Now, click OK when finished and type in your setup password in the Password box if prompted.
Fix 3: Repair the Steam Client Service
The worst-case scenario is when the Steam client service breaks down and needs to be repaired using a simple command that can be done in the Command Prompt.
This command prompt will reset it for sure!
- Click Windows Logo Key + R key combination and open up the Run dialog box. Type in “cmd” in the box and use the Ctrl + Shift + Enter key combination – to run Command Prompt, key in with admin privileges.
- Now, find the root folder of your Steam installation by right-clicking its shortcut on the Desktop → Open file location.
- Copy the address bar at the top of the folder (the path would be “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe”.
- Let’s use the default path to run the command, replacing it with your own path: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe”/repair.
Reopen Steam and check the status of the Steam service error.
Fix “Steam service component is not working” Error – Video Tutorial
These are the fixes I tried and tested in my search for fixing the “The Steam service component is not working properly” error; if you know any other working fix/es for the same error, feel free to share in the comment section below.