Streaming wars are here to stay as more and more traditional entertainment houses venture into the world of video-on-demand. The stiff competition between these platforms means that the consumer is spoilt for choice. To name a few, Peacock, HBO Max, Quibi are all recent entries and have already amassed a loyal fan base.
The ease and convenience that OTT platforms provide by allowing unlimited connections on multiple devices and more adds brownie points. The popularity has negatively affected the TV industry worldwide, as they try to grapple with the conversion of consumers towards streaming platforms.
This industry saw a massive boom during the pandemic. On the other hand, the TV industry faced major challenges in customer retention, decrease in customer base and more on a global scale.
If you wish to learn more about the latest offerings on these OTT-platforms, take a look at StreamingRant which carries the latest information regarding new releases and more.
Today we’re going to discuss the best online streaming services and their advantages:
Advantages of Video On Demand Platforms
There are many benefits of these OTT streaming platforms, so let’s look:
Many of these platforms offer simultaneous connections, which means that on a single subscription you can share your login credentials with your friends and family. This enables the rest of your family to watch their favorite content on their own time and preferred device.
Many streaming platforms now have original programs that are produced and financed by themselves. These programs have been wildly popular, like the Netflix originals, or HBO Max originals.
Streaming services are totally compatible with a range of operating systems such as Smart TVs, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and more.
Netflix and many other streaming platforms have a feature where you can download your favorite content on your device. You can then view it later without Wi-Fi connection. This is particularly handy when you are traveling.
Best Streaming Services in the UK
- Disney Plus
- BBC iPlayer
- Amazon Prime Video
- Now TV
- Apple TV Plus
Let’s take a closer look at each of these:
Netflix is the biggest name in the streaming world and there are multiple reasons for this. It has a wide selection of movies and TV shows.
- Price: There are three packages. The first is £5.99 per month (Standard definition), £8.99 per month for two screens simultaneously in HD, £11.99 per month for up to four screens in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision.
- It’s compatible on a range of devices such as iOS, Android, Smart TVs, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Apple TV,
- Each person can set up their own profile
- Dedicated kids’ section
- 1080p HD and 5.1 surround sound
- Download option and Android users can also download content to Micro SD card.
Britbox is the brainchild of BBC and ITV. It has some notable classic British TV shows and has been giving Netflix some stiff competition.
- Price: £5.99 per month.
- It’s compatible on a range of devices, such as Apple TV, Chromecast, iOS,Smart TVs, and Android phones and tablets.
- Britbox has a range of old series that you won’t be able to find anywhere else.
- It carries only British television and movies so you might find that as a limitation.
3- Apple TV Plus
Apple TV Plus is a premium streaming service by an amazing company. It only has original content at the moment and the selection is rather limited.
- Price: For about £4.99 per month, you will also receive one year’s free subscription with new Apple products
- It’s compatible on PC, Mac, iOS, Apple TV, and game consoles, etc
- iTune offers an impressive library, easy-to-use system.
- Full HD 1080p with 5.1 surround sound.
- There might be some limitations when it comes to content – your purchased movies and shows will technically be locked within the Apple ecosystem if you plan to shift to Android some time soon
4- Disney Plus
Disney Plus is a relatively new contender in the streaming industry, but it’s already made its mark. It’s a great family-centric subscription.
- Price: £5.99 per month or £59.99 for the entire year
- It’s compatible with a range of devices such as Apple TV, AirPlay and Chromecast, iOS and Android devices, Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick, Smart TVs and more.
- Carries all Disney animated films and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Content can be downloaded for offline viewing, available in high definition 1080p
5- Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime is a subscription-based streaming service. It offers a range of TV shows.
- Price: £5.99 per month for access to only Amazon Prime Video Free with Amazon Prime membership – £79 per year.
- Compatible on a range of devices like Roku, PS4, Xbox, Smart TVs, iOS and Android and more.
- You can rent or buy recent movies digitally. Can be downloaded to a mobile device for offline viewing.
- Most content is in 1080p but might depend on the device that you’re using.
- Ultra HD viewing in some devices like 4K Amazon Fire TV Stick, Nvidia Shield TV devices.
- You can mark films and shows for later viewing.
6- Now TV
It offers both live and on-demand content.
- Price: Sky cinema month pass is for £11.99 per month, Sky Sports Day Pass is £9.99 for 24 hours, Sky Sports 7-Day Pass is £14.99 and Sky Sports Month Pass is £33.99, Entertainment Month Pass is for £8.99 per month and lastly, the Kids Month Pass is £3.99.
- It’s available on a range of devices such as iOS, Android, Roku, Smart Stick and Smart Box, Chromecast, PS4 and PS5, Apple TV.
- Uses adaptive streaming, sport pay-per-view option for sports fans.
7- BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer is a wonderful option for streaming. It has a variety of classic programming shows and on-demand content as well. You can absolutely depend on it for high-quality British entertainment.
It’s compatible with a range of devices like Roku, Android, Apple, Xbox, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Smart TVs, and more.
Online streaming services are here to stay, as more and more people opt for the convenience they provide.
With so many options, the TV industry’s future seems bleak and viewers are inundated by options to choose from. The best part about these streaming platforms is that they enable streaming on multiple devices without stretching the budget.
A standard cable TV subscription sets you back a couple of hundred bucks, which obviously makes it even easier for viewers to cut the cord and switch over to streaming.
- How To Watch The Marvel Movies In Order
- 12 Best SevenTorrents Alternatives
- How To Watch Japanese Netflix If You’re Not In Japan
- 19 Best Torrent Sites For Safe Torrenting
- 22 Best Bolly2Tolly Alternatives
- 21 Best Moviego Alternatives
- 18 Best FMovies Alternatives
- 15 Best KissAnime Alternatives 2021
- Top 13 Zooqle Alternatives
- 18 Best Afdah Alternatives
- 7 Best Rabbit Alternatives
- 15 Best LetMeWatchThis Alternatives
- 6 Best 123Movies Alternatives
- CyberGhost VPN Review